[3830] CQWW CW KC1XX M/M HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 30 12:51:58 EST 2020

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2020

Call: KC1XX
Operator(s): N5DX KM3T WA1Z W1FV NN1C KC1XX
Station: KC1XX

Class: M/M HP
QTH: NH

  160:  338    22       69
   80: 1670    31       97
   40: 2688    37      125
   20: 2686    37      129
   15: 1971    30      120
   10:  378    25       73

Club: Bavarian Contest Club

Comments:

Wow, another COVID-19 special. We decided that doing another M/M would give
everyone more flexibility and be more fun. Our usual M/2 team couldn’t be
assembled because of travel restrictions from Europe. I guess we had enough
OP’s but still decided to just run the bands dry without band change
restrictions. We missed out on having the BBC crew here with Irina DL8DYL, Chris
DL1MGB, Martin DL4NAC and our local friend Craig K1QX. However, on Thursday
evening we found out that Kevin N5DX was in New England and he wanted to join
the team.
He is a terrific operator and it didn’t take him long to get comfortable with
the station and the team. Friday afternoon started with the usual last minute
preparations and some NN1C drone videos followed by Rib-eyes from the grill.
Thanks to John for bringing those along.
Conditions were really good and we started the contest with an hour way over 200
Qs on 40 and 150 on 80 while other bands were still holding their own. Bob WA1Z
and Kevin N5DX started on 40 and had the rate meter spinning. They switched off
every hour between the run and in-band position.
John W1FV, like always showed his strength on 80 meters. He knows the low bands
from here like no other.  For the first time we used an in-band position on 80
with a rotatable dipole at 130’. It worked very well and Marty NN1C filled in
a lot of QSO’s and multipliers after he was done finishing 20m for the
evening.
Dave KM3T started cranking out contacts and multipliers on 160 and filled in
some other bands until it was time for Dave to do his thing on 20 in the morning
when the band opens. He never rests!
Matt KC1XX makes sure everything is working at the beginning. He gave the 40
meter crew some relief in the early morning and picked up some Asian and PAC
multipliers with the occasional European still calling in until it was time to
open 15. Kevin N5DX and Matt KC1XX partnered up on 15 at sunrise.
After a few big hours on 20, Dave KM3T went to 10 to get every last multiplier
possible. The band was in and out with a lot of QSB. One highlight was when Dave
complained to me that we still need a “DELTA LIMA” on ten. I dressed him up
at the 10 meter position with my German Fussball scarf and a German boarder
guard hat. Sure enough, it worked magic and within minutes, two DL’s went in
the log on ten. It was worth a good laugh for everyone. While Dave was on ten,
Bob and Marty took over on 20 for Dave and cleaned up on that band.
At around 18:00 UTC, we started up again on 40 into Europe joined by a good
Dominican meal prepared by my wife Juana.
The second night and day was a little more of a mix and match and everyone
filled in where there was an open chair in front of a radio. We like this
flexible type of operating as it gives everyone a good taste of all bands.
Only during COVID times does one discover that the plastic on the keyboards
starts disintegrating when using a lot of hand sanitizer. We found several
keyboards with that feature.
I would like to mention a few more people that make all this possible.
Bill, K1GQ has not only helped design and build this place but still helps out
with technical support and we can call on him with problems and issues. Do to
the pandemic; he opted not to physically be here. Thank you Bill!

The local power company “Eversource” worked endless hours trying to locate
line noise that popped up several weeks ago. We would like to thank the
coordinator Anette and the field engineer Wayne as well as their line crews for
the interest in helping us to keep our Ham frequencies quiet.
We should also never forget John ON4UN for what he has contributed to the hobby
for many years. If I look at our low band numbers, I’m sure that a lot of
those contacts were only possible by John’s endless ideas on how to build a
low band antenna. RIP, OM!

Let’s hope that things will start getting  back to normal in 2021.
Thanks for the QSO’s and especially all the QSY’s to another band.

VY73, Matt and the great crew at KC1XX