[3830] 432FallSprnt N0URW Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Oct 11 11:17:41 EDT 2020

                    432 MHz Fall Sprint - 2020

Call: N0URW
Operator(s): N0URW
Station: N0URW

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: IOWA

I set up to run SSB and FT8 this year during the 432 fall sprint, Power
available up to 800 watts if needed.

   I decided to start out at 100 watts to test the band conditions. Perfect
weather, 76 degrees, not a thunder storm in site.

   FT8 would probably be better than SSB, since more run 100 watts or less, than
run higher power. How many will be on FT8 ?

    Sprint start time:::  The band was quiet. No strange weird noise at all in
any direction. I started out on SSB.

   Calls in all directions only netted one contact in EN53. I switched to FT8.
Two stations were heard. Worked them both.

   Started my own cq on FT8 at 100 watts output. Worked a couple more, then
nothing for a while. As Tim Taylor would say, More Power

   Raised power to up to 350 watts and called cq on SSB in all directions for
around 15 minutes. Nothing heard so switched to FT8.

   Kept power at 350 watts. Worked a couple more stations. All had good signals
so the band was doing ok. Where is everyone ?

   After another 30 minutes of nothing, I switched back to SSB and raised power
to 800 watts. I thought more power might help.

   Calling cq on SSB in all directions several times resulted in no contacts.
Where the heck is everyone ? Switched to FT8 again.

   Kept power at 800 watts. I made a couple more contacts, but that was it. With
800 watts my signal was reaching out farther.

   But my receive could not hear the 100 watt or less distant stations. I
decided it was time to pull the plug. No one left to work.

   I would have to say it was a success given the low turn out of available
stations to work.  No rovers were heard.

   Some of the regulars I work every contest were here, which makes it all worth
it. Where were the rest ?

          May we meet again, 73  de N0URW