[3830] ARRL Sep VHF K4LY SO 3Band LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Fri Sep 18 15:45:04 EDT 2020

                    ARRL September VHF Contest - 2020

Call: K4LY
Operator(s): K4LY
Station: K4LY

Class: SO 3Band LP
QTH: SC

  432:    3     3
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  132    64  Total Score = 8,640

After several years of substituting TV DXing for weak signal VHF+ ham radio, I
decided to get back on 2 and 6 this September and operate the ARRL VHF on FT8
during my 80th birthday weekend! Also watched two 3 hour baseball games and
received some birthday calls. Altho I'm not terribly fond of how impersonal FT8
is, it's a godsend for someone hard of hearing like me.
I ran 100 watts on 6M with my TS-590sg to 5 el M2 at 70' and 100 watts on 144
with a Flex 6500, Elecraft XV144 transverter, and old KLM brick to an equally
old KLM 18 el(2 extra elements) at 70' on a separate 66' tower. I also made 3
SSB or CW contacts on 432.
The day after the contest, I shipped my XV144 off to its new owner and received
my SignaLink USB in the mail that I'd ordered. It was easy to program and
allowed me to work FT8 on 144, 432, and 1296. I might have made many 432 FT8
contacts if I had it a day or two earlier.
It did allow me to catch the great opening this past week working 1114 miles in
2M FT8 to VE1SKY with 30 watts and to NH on 432 FT8 with 25 watts.

I've pretty much caught most of the DTV television likely form here, 458 unique
stations, so I'm back doing weak signal VHF+ at the low power and low skill
level my 80 years have reduced me to. I don't know if I dare enter my score and
have been afraid to do so these past 5 years because I fear my errors might
penalize those who made good contacts with my station.
Sure was fun to be back!