[3830] CQ160 CW N5DX(@WD5R) Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 31 19:37:31 EST 2021

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW - 2021

Call: N5DX
Operator(s): N5DX
Station: WD5R

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: AR

Total:  QSOs = 1417  State/Prov = 59  Countries = 44  Total Score = 418,386

What a great way to spend the weekend.  Doug and Marlene were incredibly
gracious hosts, allowing me to invade their home and enjoy their wonderful
contest station and hospitality.

Friday night was a struggle to Europe but the rates to the US were good and I
was content to just run on the main radio and pick off guys on the second radio.
 It seemed EU was a bust until a short burst of activity from the U.K. around
their sunrise.  Three JA stations made it into the log about 45 minutes before
our local sunrise.  Never heard ZL, VK, or KL7 despite doing heavy tuning.

Saturday was much improved with a nice run of zone 14 and 15 stations going into
the log around EU sunrise.  I was shocked to find 9K2NO on the second radio and
work him on the second call!  Working the middle east on 160 from this part of
the country is rare and it's a testament to Doug's phased EU beverages.  Later
in the evening the section mult count sat on 58 with the elusive ND multiplier
missing in action.  I brought the sacred cow bell with me that originally
belonged to Doug and Marlene.  Whomever possesses said cow bell will be
guaranteed to work the ND multiplier.  Sure enough it paid off and a lone ND
station was logged Saturday evening.  I was careful though to keep the cowbell
hidden in my backpack for fear that Doug would regain possession of the valuable
totem and rob me of its powers.

Just as enjoyable as playing with Doug's stellar station, was partaking in the
hospitality and cooking throughout the weekend.  Marlene provided wonderful
meals and snacks to keep us going and Doug provided a great 160 setup.  They are
quite the team and getting to share the weekend with them was special!

Arkansas should have been an easy multiplier for everyone this weekend.  A big
congratulations to W5ZN for throwing down big time and putting up a big score.

73,
Kevin, N5DX