[3830] SS SSB K1KP Multi-Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 22 05:45:30 EST 2021

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB - 2021

Call: K1KP
Operator(s): K1KP W1MJ
Station: K1KP

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: MA
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Remote Operation

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

First time running a hybrid local/remote operation in SS Phone, which worked
great with partner operator Eliot W1MJ. By 9am Sunday, we had 82 sections in the
log. Was running 40, and wondering how to get the last two we needed for the
sweep, SDG and NT. Kept an eye on the numbers on 20, waiting for the right
moment to QSY. One mult appeared, and SDG was quickly in the log. Thinking that
the elusive NT might be a case where the only way to get them was for them to
call us, we found a spot on 20 and started calling CQ. The first caller was a
real weak one, true ESP QSO, coming up just out of the noise,  ‘VY1CO’ was
faintly heard. After turning the beam, he was in the log for the sweep! A
feeling only experienced in Sweepstakes!

Kudos to the W1VE gang and the Online Scoreboard. Although they missed the
sweep, they were ahead of us by 200 Qs on Saturday, but we cut the lead down to
100 for most of Sunday, and then around 80 at the end as they used up their off
time before we did. We didn’t quite catch them, and doubt log checking will
make up the difference. Watching the game on the Scoreboard really kept the
juices flowing to the end.