[3830] CQWW SSB VE9CB SO(A)SB80 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Oct 31 21:37:34 EDT 2021

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2021

Call: VE9CB
Operator(s): VE9CB
Station: VE9CB

Class: SO(A)SB80 HP
QTH: New Brunswick

   80: 1155    19       86
Total: 1155    19       86  Total Score = 274,050

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

The threatened megnetic storm was nowhere near as disruptive as predicted.  It
has been six years since I last did a single-band effort in the CQWW.  It made
for a much more civilised weekend than the normal sleep-deprived frenzy, and a
much better result than I had expected.

My antenna was a bit of wire in a tree.  All my antennas and towers are down
pending a move, so on Thursday morning, I got out my bow and arrow and pulled up
a 1/4-wave vertical for 80m into a 30m pine tree in my yard and extended one
radial, raised about 1 metre above ground.  The rig was my FTdx-5000 with
VL-1000 amp.

My effort broke the Canadian and North American records in this very narrow
category.  The Canadian record fell at 0845z on Saturday.  That had been set
by Steve VE6WZ in 2004.  That was 791q 22z 48 for 104,230

I broke the North American record around 0200z Sunday.  That had been set by
Jorge XE2X in 2018.  That was 1,027q 27z 80c for 233,688

The UNassisted records are much higher.

I saw spots for two KL7s I could not hear, and JAs were just out of the
question, as that is a polar path, the first to go when there is any sort of
disturbance.