[3830] CQ WW RTTY W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Sep 27 15:48:45 EDT 2021

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY - 2021

Call: W6QU
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: W8QZA

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: San Diego, CA

   80:   21      11       3
   40:   52      19       8
   20:  117      34      28
   15:   84      16      33
   10:    3       0       1
-----------------------------------
Total:  277      80      73    47  Total Score = 101,800

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

STATION W8QZA:

Radio: Yaesu FT-817, 5 Watts

Antennas:
  10-15-20 Meters: 3 el Stepp-IR up 32 feet
  40 Meters: 1/4 wave vertical with 3 radials
  40 Meters: DX-LB trap dipole up 30 feet
  80 Meters: Inverted L with 2 radials
It is the first contest of a new contest season for me, and it is a good start.
My DXCC was 42, the most since 2016. WAZ was 20. After working only about 4
European Qs on 20 M on Saturday, I was amazed to see 20 M and then 15 M open to
all of Europe on Sunday. I wound up with 33 European Qs compared to only 1 last
year.

My best Q was C37NL on 20 M. It's been so long since I've worked a C3 that I had
to look it up to see what it was.  Getting CR3W on 40 M was also a thrill. That
guy can really hear well!

10M: I went to 10 often and finally heard KH6CJJ calling blank CQs with a very
strong sig. I never heard him make another Q. Later I also got KH6TU and KH6ZM
for my only 10 M Qs.

15M: I heard no Euros on Sat, but the band opened wide to Europe on Sunday AM!
It was wonderful to rack up all those mults over a couple hours!

This was a very nice start. At 81 yrs old, I can't get by on 6 or 7 hrs of sleep
for the weekend and wound up with 10 hours of sack time.  But after 3 decades of
contesting, at least I know the best time to sleep!

See you in the WWDX SSB contest! 73,  Bill  W6QU - W8QZA