[3830] ARRL 160 K4LY SO Unlimited LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 4 09:25:10 EST 2022

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest - 2022

Call: K4LY
Operator(s): K4LY
Station: K4LY

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: SC

Total:  QSOs = 213  Sections = 52  Countries = 4  Total Score = 24,528

Remembrance of things past!  This weekend reminded me of all those years in
Colorado, 1988- 2006, as W0AH using a full size 160M 1/4wl vertical and a
northeast beverage, staying up all night both nights and often having the best
score west of the Mississippi. About 10 years ago when I was 72, I found that I
always came down with a cold or worse after staying up late, and that was the
end of serious cotesting so my 10 hours total operation and staying up to
midnight was an outlier experience of my old age. Last week I added the MTK-160
40M trap to my Hygain Hytower and didn't expect much from the 24' vertical with
sloping wire up to the 64' foot height of my tower 60' away and then out to a
tree at 50'. And yes, I didn't hear much DX, no Europeans I could copy. However,
running 80 watts, I did work almost everything I heard including one CA and one
AZ.  Everything was S + P except for the "bathroom break" hour, 3:30-
4{30 AM local, last night when I called CQ and was spotted by over a dozen
stations. Looks like I might have made a lot more Qs had I called CQ in the
evening.  The FLEX 6500 and AC Contest software worked FB and unlike in the old
days at W0AH, I hardly used my key at all!  This was  more than 60 years since
my first 160M contest as W3IFA in 1956 or 57. Tempus fugit.  Thanks for all the
Qs.