[3830] NAQP CW K3KU Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 16 22:07:28 EST 2022

                    North American QSO Party, CW - January

Call: K3KU
Operator(s): K3KU
Station: K3KU

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): 6:30

   15:    1     1
   10:    1     1
-------------------
Total:  459   130  Total Score = 59,670

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team: PVRC MD Metro 1

Comments:

My usual last six hours (plus a little) in January NAQP.  I had tricked myself
into organizing a team for PVRC MD Metro Chapter, so I felt obliged to push hard
on this one.

15M and 10M were gone by the time I started.  I managed more QSOs and mults on
20M than last year.  QSO total is about 8% below last year; multiplier total is
up about 15%.  More QSOs than in highest-ever-score year (2015), but had many
more mult's on 15M and 20M that year.

Even though 80M was the "money band" I had some loud buzzing QRM on
80M and 40M that progressed from sporadic to interment to near-constant.  40M
was mostly too "long" to generate volume.  That QRM drove me down to
160M more than I wanted, but the results there are nice enough -- even a QSO
with AZ.  Fortunately, the QRM faded significantly toward the end of the 'Test.

I finished the last 35 minutes with a 39 QSO run on 80M.  My only other major
run was 46 QSOs in 28 minutes at 0325Z on 160M.  Other runs ranged from a few
(i.e., less than the N1MM criterion of >10) to 19.  N1MM+ shows 196 QSOs from
runs (>10), so about 40-45% of my QSOs were from CQing. When S&P I tried
to focus on the basics: tune fast, call once, and move on; don't waste time.

There are some surprising holes in the band-multipliers.  I don't know if that
is from low BIC or from ineffective S&P.  I did move one PVRC WV from 160M
to 80M.  I asked one PVRC DC to move from 80M to 160M, but he was not QRV.  In
my end-of-contest run on 80M I got called by a VE1.  I neglected to ask him to
try 160M.  OTOH, I had still lots of easy mult's available on 80M, and, indeed,
MT, SD, and SC did call in after the VE1.

At the end, I was really tired, but too wound up to sleep.  I don't know if I
can do this again on SSB next weekend.