[3830] IARU N1RM SOAB(A)CW HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jul 10 01:56:54 EDT 2022

                    IARU HF World Championship - 2022

Call: N1RM
Operator(s): N1RM
Station: N1RM

Class: SOAB(A)CW HP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 16:36

   40:   280           17       27
   20:   564           31       35
   15:   164           24       32
   10:    19           41        7
-------------------------------------
Total:  1027    0      79      102  Total Score = 660,469

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I knew I couldn't do the full 24 hours, so I had low expectations. To improve my
skills, I decided on CW only (also less likely to get a headache). I have no
antenna below 40M, so I tried to go deep in all the higher bands. 10 was okay by
recent year standards. I got some traction on 15. 20 and 40 were the power bands
for me.  I had some great runs on them and managed to stake out and hold running
frequencies for as long as I could last between bathroom breaks.

My CW practice is paying off since things seemed far less intimidating than
usual. I settled in at a comfortable 30 wpm for CQ and took all comers. I had to
ask for some repeats, but I didn't get flustered.

My 5th QSO in the contest was DX0HQ, who was booming in on 20, which was cool
since it is my first ever Philippines QSO (embarrassing but true!). I think that
completes my WAZ, too.

I kept the new RBN web page up with the cool automatically updating map. I set
the timeout to 10 minutes and it really showed when the bands were going long
and short.  Nice job, RBN guys!

Never expected to get 1000 Qs in my limited time, but ended up surpassing that
since 20 and 40 just kept on giving.  I thought I'd have to settle for all 1
pointers, but EU stayed open very late, even on 20M.

Had a blast!

Thanks for the Qs!
Rick, N1RM
K4, A2000, SteppIR DB18e at 70'.