[3830] IARU KH6AQ SOAB(A)CW HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jul 10 14:12:44 EDT 2022

                    IARU HF World Championship - 2022

Call: KH6AQ
Operator(s): KH6AQ
Station: KH6AQ

Class: SOAB(A)CW HP
QTH: Pahoa, HI
Operating Time (hrs): 22:00

  160:    0     0       0
   80:    6     0       3       0
   40:  249     0      19       9
   20:  266     0      33      21
   15:  391     0      33      23
   10:   54     0      10       4
-------------------------------------

A fantastic contest and thanks to all for the Qs! Propagation was up and down
with the bands in fine shape for the final 12 hours. 80m was good for a few
mults using the 6BTV "dummy" load/antenna. Radiation efficiency is
~20% on 80m. 40m was quite excellent and felt like I had a big signal using the
full size vertical. 20m was fun and 15m was fantastic with the band open at 2AM
local time. 10m was open to Asia until early evening making for some nice
Qs/mults. The local PV systems which do double duty as "RFI
generators" were not a problem except on 10m during daylight hours. For me
this test was to be test of the operator to further explore that envelope. More
contest BIC and rigrunner are paying off. A special thanks to the guys at KH6LC
for moving me from being a S&P guy months ago to being comfortable running.

I had not done much assisted operating before and it was a real help in this
one. The DX cluster OC parksnpeak was quite effective. The aim was to operate as
much as possible and I got 22:00 hours in without any real sleep deprivation. At
no time did I force myself to stay awake. At hour 12 I took a 90 minute nap and
it paid off. Focus remained for the rest of the contest albeit with steadily
decreasing CW copying ability as the hours ticked by. That caused many requests
for repeats and slowed some exchanges. Coffee use was carefully limited. Food
was prepared ahead of time.

All in all it was a most excellent experience and I will be back next year.
Goals were to break 1000 Qs and to explore contest sleeping. Planned
improvements for next year are an 80m inverted-L, more radials and of course
improved operating skills. The Hexbeam will still be here and the plan is to
remain at 600W as that seems to be the neighbor-RFI sweet spot, barely.

FTdx-10 plus AL-811 amp (3 X 572B tubes) at 600W (the new amp fan helped here)
80m, 6BTV vertical
40m, full size 40m vertical with 22 radials
20-10 meters, Hexbeam at 35' on a homebrew self-supporting tilt over mast

QTH on Hawaii island in the lower Puna district:
South facing side of the island a mile from the ocean. Flat terrain to NA,
downhill to SA and uphill to EU, Asia and Oceania. Africa is close to my
antipode and it's all around the compass.