[3830] WPX SSB N4RV SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 28 12:28:39 EDT 2022

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB - 2022

Call: N4RV
Operator(s): N4RV
Station: N4RV

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: VA

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

This used to be one of my favorite contests and I have fond memories of
operating SO from PJ9JR in Curacao in many past WPX contests.
 As I have grown 'closer' to becoming an OT'er,( Ha ! )..  I have grown to
dislike contests that require working the stateside stations for hours on end
versus working DX. This is certainly a contest that requires both to run up a
big score. It does garner the interest of so many, given the large number of
stations to work. Even many non-contesters seem to get involved in this one..

I started out just working DX while S&P'ing , but finally had to do some
running when 15 meters showed signs of life VERY early on SUNDAY morning. There
appeared to be two distinct openingson 15 to EU on Sunday morning. One VERY
early, and another an hour or so later during which, in between, the band
dropped way down. Both EU openings were some of the best I have seen.
 Even though my 10 and 15 monobanders are stuck at 70 degrees due to a seized
prop pitch rotor, they both performed very well while my Bencher Skyhawk
tribander did all the work on 20.
 While running EU on 15, some of the pile ups were knee deep ! Perhaps the
outlier solar cycle predictions are bearing fruit ?
As many have noted, the line noise was very high, especially on Sunday. I
attribute this to the high winds at my QTH. Line noise on Sunday was so high on
10, 15 and 20 that I did not turn the tribander to the West. Worked most of the
Western U.S. while pointed towards Seattle to lessen the QRN.  I was able to
locate some offending power poles on Sunday when I drove around with my 135 MHz
AM radio.  For some strange reason it seems we always get high winds during a
contest weekend ? Must be Murphy's doing ?
Power Co. is scheduled to check out these poles next week. As they say "
finding power line QRN is like " peeling an onion " !
Don't think I worked a hand full of Russian stations. If they called I worked
them. There seemed to be an endless number of I's,G's,DL's etc..

Jack N4RV