[3830] CWopsT OH3BCX(OH1ZAA) Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Nov 24 04:43:55 EST 2022

                    CWops Test (CWT) - 0700Z Nov 24

Call: OH3BCX
Operator(s): OH1ZAA
Station: OH3BCX

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: KP20XW

Total:  20  Mults = 19  Total Score = 380

Club: Contest Club Finland

Comments:

While there was nothing to repair on the LK-550Z,
I started to work on the SB-230 used at OH5ZA and
exhibiting some flash-overs lately. The old 8873
is still going strong (it was a bit low on 5.6 V
filament voltage, now upped to 6.0 V, spec: 6.3).
Also a series resistor put in the plate DC-line,
more for the looks than for the actual function.
These are pretty rugged tubes (650 watts out at
50 years of age @ 1.8 kV keydown). This should
easily go for 1 kW out ICAS at 2.2 kV when the
DC-ripple is smoothed away from the plate line.
A mighty blower on the back-plate is mandatory.

Repairs took until 3:30 AM, so I did not set any
alarms, and started very late on 7 MHz: K3MM
N3JT NA8V and some Europe. Last few minutes
on 14 MHz with my own short pile-up till the
finishing bell. Solar flux is a pretty poor B4.

Cheers/73, Zaba OH1ZAA #1856 CWops