[3830] Oceania CW NH6O SOAB QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Oct 9 04:41:20 EDT 2022

                    Oceania DX Contest, CW - 2022

Call: NH6O
Operator(s): NH6O
Station: NH6O

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: Honolulu, HI
Operating Time (hrs): 3:45

   40:   9      9
   20:  45     42
   15:  14     14
   10:   8      8
-------------------
Total:  76     73  Total Score = 10,366

Park portable - Elecraft KX3, 31-ft vertical tree-supported EFHW.

Two operating sessions - 0600-0800z, and 0230-0600 (with some breaks).

I had the great honor and pleasure of meeting Heather AH7RF for the first time.
We made some contacts together (using our separate calls) in the first session
(Friday night local time). For the second session (Saturday afternoon/evening),
we worked separately at the same picnic table - mostly avoiding operating on the
same band. It was a lot of fun showing her some of my QRP contest techniques and
encouraging her to be politely aggressive when calling running stations.

Great to work many of the Hawaii CW contesters - AH6KO, KH6Y, KH6AQ, WH6R,
KH7M.

Also very surprising to get called by EU stations on 20 late in the event.
Heather asked me why the signals sounded so weird, and I explained the
polar/auroral distortion phenomenon. I worked everyone who called except one
very weak Russian station, whose call I was unable to make out in the
flutter/multipath.

This is a very enjoyable contest - essentially a continent-wide QSO party. The
bands aren't clogged like the big contests, and it's much easier to find a spot
as a micro-gun for CQing.

Looking forward to participating again next year!

73/72 and ALoha,

Bob NH6O in Honolulu