[3830] TBDC W4LT(@W4DUG) Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Oct 23 14:31:01 EDT 2022

                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Pre-Stew

Call: W4LT
Operator(s): W4LT
Station: W4DUG

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: EL88
Operating Time (hrs): 1.5
Remote Operation

Total:  QSOs = 50  Total Score = 240

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

Rig: Flex6500 and Maestro/SSDR - 100% remote operation
Ant: Carolina Windom 160 at 90ft apex

My first ever solo 160 contest attempt from home. Actually, my first
"extended" use of Top Band in over 45 years of hamming! I dont have
room for a 160 antenna at home.  We recently added a 160 antenna at the Tampa
ARC, and I connected to one of their remote Flex Radios for a little over an
hour, right after the Club's 100yr Anniversary celebration dinner.

Remote CW with Flex is always an adventure... And a Flex6500 is a bit worse than
CW with a Flex6400, probably due to the older hardware (although Flex says it
shouldnt make a difference!). After a while, I had to dispense with the Maestro
and WinKey and just used SSDR in the PC with no CW sidetone.  Only 1 real DX in
an OM which surprised the hell out of me!  Fun time.  The 160 wire plays
surprisingly well at TARC! See all of you in SS in November 73 - Lu W4LT