[3830] ARRLDX CW NJ8J SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 19 21:49:59 EST 2023

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2023

Call: NJ8J
Operator(s): NJ8J
Station: NJ8J

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 8:42

Total:  294   150  Total Score = 132,300

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

Icom IC-7300
LDG AT-200Pro II Automatic Antenna tuner
120 ft OCF doublet fed with ladder-line
10 Meter Half-Square
Logger: N1MM+

Best score ever for ARRL DX CW.  Spent 8 3/4 hour (vs 5 1/4 last year), but more
than 5x that score compared to last year (and over 4x the score for my last
record ARRL DX CW in 2004).  Bands were quite packed, and bands were definitely
open.  God started off late Saturday afternoon on 10M.

About 0240Z Saturday evening, I actually got a run started on 7003.33.  It was
basically multiple, often down-in-the-mud calls coming back to me at once.  Made
it difficult to pick out calls.  Except for GAQP, I'm not used to having a
pileup when I call CQ.

If I hadn't made one mistake, I could probably have broken 300 Qs.  About 20
minutes before the end of the contest, I had just finished a sweep through 20M,
and was considering dropping down to 40M.  I took a look at my relative Q counts
between 40M and 20M, and decided that 40M had so many more Qs already that I
would probably find more dupes on 40 than 20M, and stayed on 20M.  Bad call.  I
actually ended up with an 11-minutes stretdh of no Qs on 20M, and when I finally
switched to 40M 5 minutes before the end of the, and the rate I got on 40M would
have put me over 300 Qs if I had moved down 15 minutes before.

But it was fun!  This is the longest I have sat in front of the radio since
back, insomnia and some other problems hit me in early October and kept me off
the radio for 3 months.