[3830] WPX SSB D4Z(E77DX) SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Mar 28 07:01:09 EDT 2023

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB - 2023

Call: D4Z
Operator(s): E77DX
Station: D4Z

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Monte Verde
Operating Time (hrs): 36
OpMode: SO2R

   20: 1123
   15: 1661
   10: 2483

Club: Bavarian Contest Club

Comments:

Well, here i´m ....in midle of atlantic ocaen on some island, on top of the
hill with wide view accross the ocaen....My childhood dream is getting reality.
Back in 1988/89 my dream was to operate contest from here. And yes after being
here on this place already twice i got opportunity to operate this wonderfull
station again, but this time as SOAB in one of my favorite contest.

Thanks to Luca IK2NCJ who invated me.
Also thanks to Mark EA8FF and Max IZ4DPV for their support before and during the
contest. That maked my life much more easier. :)

I arrived to Monte Verde 3 days before contest. We could finished some tower and
antenna work on time. New 30m high tower for EU and AF was installed and also
one antenna on the top for EU. Rest were done on monday after contest :) . We
fixed 80m 4SQ and RX antennas and  could repair some other brokend stuff.
To keep this station working is very difficult. This QTH is great but price
being on island more than 700m ASL sourunded with atlantic ocaen is high. Hat of
to D4Z team for doing this already 15 years!

Setup of the the station went very fast. I tryed to prepear as much i could
before i arrived. Unfortunatly i had pretty big troubles with audio. Some RF
(leak) issues....we spent about 14 hours on friday traying to fix it without
much success. I could minimized the problem, but not to get 100% rid of it
...unfortunatly.
My appologizes for that, but there were no better solution.

I need to thanks once again to Max IZ4DPV who dismateled whole station setup
with me on friday afternoon checked all cables, power supplys etc. on some
possible ground or other failures and put everything back together.

Unfortunatly that was not my only problem during the whole weekend.
I was forced to reboot the PC many times, i restarted the logger or/and microHAM
router +- about 50 times.... that was quite frustrating ....also click and
collect the spots was most of the time not possible, for few 2nd radio QSOs i
needed to turn VFO manualy. After all also my PC screen on logging computer died
as well in midle of pile up..... somehow i could get along with all those
problems and was about to reach that WR which was my target.

Good news - i could brake world record made by Jim CN2R (RIP Mate).
Bad news - UBN needs to be better than my usuall WPX UBN. I would say it was not
good enough.

Even here very close to equator we could feel effects of the solar strom which
killed the bands and absorbed the signals for a lot.

Great efforts by PJ4K, 8P5A and CR3DX....was my honor to compete with you guys.

Also congrats to my team mate Vlado E70T who operated from E7DX.
Look like we could take World and EU win this time in SOAB category :)

Unfortunatly to bad not seing PJ4K and W2SC on live score board.
I know this is not requiered by rules, but competing on such high level nowdays
should always inculde that.

Thanks for QSOs and CU you in next one!

After my return to Vienna on friday, next week i will flying to other side of
the plant for a bit DX fun !
Stay tuned!

73s
Braco E77DX/D4DX @ D4Z