[3830] WPX SSB OL5Y SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Mar 29 05:01:48 EDT 2023

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB - 2023

Call: OL5Y
Operator(s): OL5Y
Station: OL5Y

Class: SOAB LP
QTH:

Club: Czech Contest Club

Comments:

I had planned to participate in the contest fully, but my wife Jana OK3FLY and
one of my daughters got strep throat on Thursday, so we changed our plans and
the whole family took turns at the radio (both daughters as OL5G).
For the first time I very briefly tried the new antenna for 40 m (Moxon at 35 m
/ 115 ft.). Compared to the 3 el (25 m / 82 ft. high), the signals from the
Moxon are either the same or a little stronger, however the wider radiation
angle is much more noticeable. So, for me, it fulfills what I expected from this
very challenging project - and I can't wait for the next contest.
Over the weekend, I again realized a very important aspect that I think quite
fundamentally affects the results in SSB contests, and that is the DX cluster.
I've tried CQ many times, but until someone spotted me, it wasn't effective at
all (S&P was many times better). In other words, to get a good result
(especially among stations who use the power according to the rules of the
contest) you also need to have a strategy in place to get into the cluster
quickly. That is, for example, to have arranged friends in different parts of
the world, or to have a sophisticated system of self-spotting. I can't judge
whether any of this is consistent with the contest rules - which is also why I
rarely participate in SSB contests "fully".
Thank you all for calling me or answering my call!
73! Martin, OL5Y

Radio: SunSDR MB1
Accessories: microHAM ARCO, MK2R+, Station masters, Stack masters, switches...
Antennas:
160: Inv. V @ 19m (63 ft.)
80: Inv. V @ 19m
40: 3-el Yagi (AD-3446) @ 25m (82 ft.) + 2-el Moxon (40MA2) @ 35m (115 ft.)