[AMPS] What's a dB or Two?

David L. Thompson thompson@mindspring.com
Wed, 2 Apr 1997 18:01:57 -0500 (EST)

At 11:44 AM 4/2/97 EST, N4KG wrote:
>Is a 2 dB improvement worth the cost and effort?

I agree with Tom on the importance of 2 DB improvements.  2DB is not as
important on 10 when the band is wide open, but 2DB can mean the difference
between a contact and not on 20 and the difference between hearing a station
and not on 160!

Its true 3DB is often hard to hear with the human ear, but tie that in with
other factors and the difference is often astonishing.  How many times has a
Dx station say can't hear you to a 100W station on 160 when just 10DB make
the contact 100% at 559 or 569.  When you reach the max power and the max
antenna then you look for other ways to gain a DB or two.  I sold many HOFI
coax switches as the insertion loss was a mere .04DB at 30Mhz not 1.4DB at
15Mhz like cheaper switches.  Add to this the extra isolation of the switch
and the price actually became a bargain for the 160 meter op!

ON4UN uses hard line and connectors on 160 and 80 looking for that extra .25
or .5Db.

Its not relative its IMPORTANT!

Dave K4JRB