[AMPS] SB1000 grid current

Chris Pedder g3vbl@netcomuk.co.uk
Fri, 04 Apr 1997 14:17:33 +0100

Hi,

Although I seldom if ever  use it, I do keep an Heathkit SB1000 amp. Having
fitted a soft (=step) start I am no longer troubled by the incredible thump
that I used to get at switch on but am puzzled by the following on page 66
of the manual:

12.  Apply only enough drive to indicate either 1000 watts of output power,
     or 200ma of grid current.

The figure of 200ma of grid current appears to be at odds with Eimac specs.
Is there anyone who can comment on this?

73,

Chris

P.S. When it comes to siganl increases I will work hard for 0.5db since all
those fractions of a db add up. Paul Rockwell W3AFM (?) wrote some
interesting articles in QST back in the 60s. I believe they were called
"Station Design for DX" or something similar.

Chris Pedder     G3VBL/8P9EM
E-mail           g3vbl@netcomuk.co.uk
AX25-mail        g3vbl@gb7bnm.#45.gbr.eu
DX-Cluster       g3vbl > gb7dxd