[AMPS] Triton 3-500Z's

Tom Rauch (W8JI) w8jitom@worldnet.att.net
Fri, 04 Apr 1997 10:46:53 -0500

Robert W. Stankus wrote:

> At one time, Richardson Electronics had an exclusive marketing agreement
> with Eimac for the USA distribution of their tubes...until they ran
> afoul of the Justice Department.
> Their efforts to control the pricing of these tubes brought hoards of
> protests from other dealers!
> I do not believe that agreement is in effect today.

That agreement is in effect today.

Only a few companies who purchased tubes from Eimac before the
agreeement are exempt. Richardsons bought out every source of
competition they could. In my opinion (its only a unscientific opinion)
Richardson's is the main reason tube prices are as high as they are.

When they bought Amperex, 572B prices went out of sight. I recall
reading a business magazine interview where the owner of Richardson's
stated his intention was to capture the market, and implied people would
"pay what they had to pay" to keep old equipment going.

73 Tom