[AMPS] RE: Toroid

Hakan Ericsson sm3lbn@swipnet.se
Sun, 20 Apr 1997 08:45:17 -0700

Thanks folks for very interesting info
Hmmmm,,,I must admit, I am a bit confused.

Rich AG6K said:

>---The toroidal core [a.k.a. Hipersil] core is so efficient that
>transformer loss is essentially the copper loss.  In a conventional
>transformer, core loss is similar to copper loss.
-snip-

Tom W8JI said:
>NO. They work almost the same. The toroidal transformer has slightly
>less resistance to flux, makes better use of the core material, so
>it should be lighter in weight for the same power rating. Other than the
>weight and size advantage, there is no real performance difference IF
>the E-I transformer is wound properly on a good material core.
-snip-
>You had an incredibly BAD 3 kVa transformer then!!!!  Throw it away.
No Tom, can't do that. It did cost to much :(
-snip-
>But something is VERY wrong with your old transformers if there is that
>much difference.
Well, it's manufacured by a wellknown company in the industri and it's
1 year old. I will have a word with that boss, &%#@&,,,

>All these "perfect heavy duty" transformers are turning out
>to be junk, hi.
That's exactly the situation for me now. I have tryed many different
conventional transformers. Mostly old ones from junkyards, swapmeet and
industrial machines and so on. Was never happy, therefore I ordered
that one "the perfect heavy duty". Well, same shit happend.
Until this day I have'nt seen anything performing so well as this
"little" Toroid.

Carl KM1H said:
>Top quality conventional designs with modern materials no longer have the
>20-40% efficiency penalty of several years ago. Today it is in the 10-15%
>range or less.
10-15% still sounds much to me.

So the conclusion must be that my "perfect heavy duty" is a piece of
junk and the transformer company has not uppdated themself on the
latest technology regarding materials. Right ?

73's Hakan