[AMPS] Highly efficient 813:s // 3CX3000 ?

Einar Persson sm3mxr@swipnet.se
Sun, 20 Apr 97 09:23:21 PDT

Good morning all !

KM1H wrote:
> Personally, I would rather be on the band next to someone running a clean
> 3CX3000A7 at 5KW out than some moron trying for 1200W out of a pair of
> IMD generating 4CX250's, 813's or some other obsolete hunk of garbage.

It seems to be the time for defence from the moron himself! :-)
(Tho' I think the real morons are people calling for censorship in VERY INTERESTING
technical and/or theoretical discussions!)

		1500W plate dissipation limit? Give me a break!

   12x813 would be 1500W plate dissipation!    Think about that!!! :-))

I have a few points in using the 2x813 at the kW+ level.

 1 I do just work sk DX's with it!
   Commonly just one bullet in the middle of a pile, the DX replies to me and I can
   put the callsign in my logbook. Fast, short and efficient!

   That makes a minimum of QRM to others (many of them with to heavy processing and
   coat hanger antennas, screaming hundreds of times into the microphone just making
   a porridge of QRM to each other) trying to get QSO. :-)

   (While I can return to the workbench building a more suitable amplifier for the
   horsepower race.)

 2 Still using the same tubes after a year of abuse. :-)
   Someone said: Only a hammer seems to take an 813 out of service. I agree to that!

 3 It's extremely cheap!
   Bought "Brand New" 813's, a year ago, for less than 14 bucks each.
   An EIMAC 3-500Z costs about 350$ from dealers in SM.
   (An amplifier with 2x3-500Z has to bad W/$ ratio!)

------ End of defence lines ---------

Now a couple of questions.

Why has the 3CX3000 became so popular?
To get full output one will need 3-400W of drive.
As far as I know an intermediate amplifier must be used.

Why not use the 4CX3000 instead?

By the way! This is the absolute best reflector I've ever joined!

Both interesting and "shit-funny" as we say in SM.

73's de Einar /// SM3MXR