[AMPS] Type-accept ?

Hakan Ericsson sm3lbn@swipnet.se
Wed, 23 Apr 1997 07:48:08 -0700

Hi folks, AG6K Rich wrote:

>Create Electronic and Henry make 3x3 amplifiers.  However, the FCC will
>not type-accept any amplifier with more than roughly 1600w of rated anode
>dissipation for Amateur Radio use.  The workaround:  3x3 amplifiers are
>only shipped to business addresses.
FCC and Type accept ?? What !! I have never heard this before.
How is that "law" working ? I belived that USA was a country of freedom.
What about the 3 holer 4XC800A from Commander ? Shipment only to
business addresses ?
Well the ad says "for export only" but that must be a joke. The amp
consumes 30 amps at 230VAC, so not many outside north America can use it
at full output. To much current for a singel phase, so it has to be ment
for use on the US/Canadian market where the 230 lines are thicker than
a mensleg. Maybe "export only" means Canada :)