[AMPS] Q Swing

Ron Angle (AB6ZX) dom@shocking.com
Tue, 19 Aug 1997 23:36:41 -0700

Following up on the excellent series "tuning your amp", I wish to present the following scenario.

I am rebuilding a sixties-era homebrew amp running a pair of 4-400s in GG. The power supply is a full-wave, capacitive input circuit. Recently I discovered that the high-low voltage switch on the power supply actually switched between two primary taps labeled 5,000 volts and 2,500 volts, respectively,  for the secondary. I have not yet tested the PS for actual DC output.

The output circuit is a standard Pi tank with fixed inductor taps on B&W coil stock. The values of  C (tune) and C (load) and the inductance are unknown.

The question: changing the Ep by fifty percent (50%) while keeping most of the other variables constant will  vary the Q and should require retuning.  Assuming the Q at one voltage is within the "acceptable" range, should I expect the Q at the alternate Ep to be beyond acceptable with a voltage swing of approximately 2,500v?

Input appreciated; please keep the technobabble appropriate for a geographer...hi!
73 and thanks to all who contribute to this list...I learn a lot.