[AMPS] Thanks for the L4B info

w8jitom@postoffice.worldnet.att.net w8jitom@postoffice.worldnet.att.net
Thu, 21 Aug 1997 21:08:20 +0000

>   I was wondering about it because I picked up a Swan Mark I (cheap)
> that does not. I'm using a tube final rig on the Swan so I
> guess it really doesn't matter. I suppose I could buy one of
> those small cheap MFJ tuners to go between the rig and the amp
> if I really wanted to.

Don't do that!

The input system really needs to be a low pass type, and present
a very low Z at the third and higher harmonics right at the cathode.

The T net tuner will help the rig, but it won't help the amp work
better.

>   Swan really left a lot to be desired as far as cutting
> costs. Parasitic suppression is next to none. All it had was a couple
> of ferrite beads.

I've been mostly unsucessful using ferrite beads, but that doesn't
say they won't work. It's easy enough to test the PA for parasitics
or other instability, and correct it if you discover
stability problems.

73 Tom