[AMPS] Low line voltage

km1h @ juno.com km1h@juno.com
Thu, 04 Dec 1997 20:17:39 EST

On Fri, 05 Dec 1997 00:32:45 -0500 Michael Barts <mbarts@vt.edu> writes:
>I'm trying to set up at a "portable" location for the 160m contest and
>discover that the line voltage here is 208VAC, not 220VAC. The amp
>(Alpha
>76C, 3x8874) docs state that the intended operating range is
>220-250VAC.
>Will 208VAC be too low? The primary concern would be the filament
>voltage,
>which might be too low on 208. There are no taps on the power
>transformer,
>so I'm stuck. What say ye amp wizards?
>
>73, Mike N4GU

It sounds as if u are hanging off on one leg of an industrial 3 Phase
line Mike. I would be careful and check out exactly what you are getting
into there.
Transformers to go from 208 to 240VAC  single phase are fairly common in
surplus type shops at modest prices. The smallest ones I have noticed are
5KVA rated and they go for $20-30 or so around here.

Another option is to pick up one of those surplus 10KW Collins amps that
are advertised all over the place....they are all set for 208 3 phase.

With all the negative comments about Variacs I would be cautious about
that approach.

GL  Carl   KM1H