[AMPS] HV glitch resistor/fuse?

Ron Hooper ab4ru@stc.net
Tue, 09 Dec 1997 23:25:30 +0000

Walter Kornienko wrote:

> What is the best type of resistor to use in the HV lead
> to a power amp.  A good wirewound should be able to
> act as a fuse as well, right?  Any recommendations
> as to where to find a wire wound resistor that'll handle
> kV and have ample dissipation to handle legal output?
>
>              73 de Walt Kornienko - K2WK - zak@goes.com

Hi Walt,
  I have used 10 ohm 25 watt resistors in some of my amps in the B+
leads to limit the current. I do not use them anymore after a short
circuit. It blew the resistor to little pieces made a mess and allowed
the wire to fall down aginst the chassis, shorting out the supply. I
just quit using anything at all. However you can buy a fuse that will
work in that application with the proper ratings.
  If your trying to limit the inrush while charging the filter caps I
suggest a resistor in the primary shunted with a switch after the
charge.
Ron W4WA