[AMPS] Drake L75

chris g3vbl@netcomuk.co.uk
Wed, 31 Dec 1997 16:28:02 -0700

Hi,

Although the return address is g3vbl@netcomuk.co.uk the sender will be
<caribsurf.com>. I am down here in the Caribbean for a short stay and
would welcome some help.

At home I have a Drake L7, which is a fine docile amp provided you don't
want 1500 pep out, and I'm not allowed it anyway unless my feeder is
very lossy. Down here on the island I am working on a Drake L75 which
has had a pretty unfortunate life. It was repaired here by someone who
appears to have used a "cane knife". Subsequently it has been back to
the States for repair and at some stage has been dropped buckling the
chassis beneath the power tranformer. It was not working and I said I
would look at it.

Much popping of fuses. Traced all the primary circuits (which did not
match the manual!) and all seemed OK. Restored the interlock protection
(!) and removed the tube. Viola, 3.1KV as expected and no more fuse
popping. I have no means of doing any testing on the tube having only a
tiny VOM. Any suggestions?

The indexing on the bandswitch is awful. It's very vague. I suspect that
the only cure is a new bandswitch from Drake but does anyone have
experience with this problem?

I would very much appreciate constructive suggestions but please
remember that we haven't got ready access to any supplies down here.

Greetings from the 'Island in the Sun'.

Chris 8P9EM