[AMPS] PA Recommendation Wanted

Larry McDavid lmcdavid@lmceng.com
Thu, 05 Jun 1997 22:55:00 -0700

I have only just joined this reflector, but I will dare to jump in and
ask this question:

Like Brian Short KE7GH I plan to buy a PA and I have similar goals of
  1. Reliability
  2. Reliability
  3. Conservative design
  4. Meaningful performance, not esoteric details
  5. Quiet

At Dayton, I traveled back and forth between the Alpha and QRO booths,
comparing the construction of the Alpha 89 and QRO HF-2500DX. My
observations:
  1. Alpha 89 has more fault detection and protection
  2. Alpha is more widely accepted and has a good reputation
  3. HF-2500DX appears more conservative design
  4. HF-2500DX uses Peter Dahl HV and filament xfmrs which alone weigh
more than the entire Alpha 89.
  5. HF-2500DX uses much heavier bandswitch
  6. HF-2500DX tune & load caps have about twice the plate spacing of
the caps in the Alpha 89.
  7. HF-2500DX has a two-speed fan switch
  8. The Alpha looks "shoehorned" while the QRO has working space inside

Every serious DXer I talk with says, "Buy Alpha."

I'm a rag chewer, not a DXer.

Why have I read no comments about QRO the several days I've been reading
the mail here?

Folks, I last built a PA almost 40 years ago (2, 813s); a lot has
changed since then and I really would appreciate some critical comments
about the 89 and the HF-2500DX, or about another PA you suggest. I want
to buy only once, and I don't want to develop a relationship with the
UPS person!

Larry McDavid W6FUB