[AMPS] PA Recommendation Wanted

Rich Measures measures@vc.net
Fri, 6 Jun 97 03:23:30 -0700

...snip...
>Like Brian Short KE7GH I plan to buy a PA and I have similar goals of
>  1. Reliability
>  2. Reliability
>  3. Conservative design
>  4. Meaningful performance, not esoteric details
>  5. Quiet

--IMO, a design that not take care of 'esoteric details' is not likely to
be reliable.  It seems to me that these details aren't as esoteric as
some people purport.

>At Dayton, I traveled back and forth between the Alpha and QRO booths,
>comparing the construction of the Alpha 89 and QRO HF-2500DX. My
>observations:
>  1. Alpha 89 has more fault detection and protection
>  2. Alpha is more widely accepted and has a good reputation

The last Alpha owner I talked to is the President of the So. California
DX Club.  He said his Alpha 87A has been back to the factory four times.
I have heard similar reports from about 1/3 of the 80 series owners I
have talked to.  Most of the UPS people I have met are pretty nice,
Larry.
Rich---

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K