[AMPS] LETS CHEW EVEN MORE

Tom Rauch (W8JI) w8jitom@worldnet.att.net
Thu, 06 Mar 1997 08:14:50 -0500

QROKING@aol.com wrote:
> voltage and current.  So we have just proved that PEP or PEAK is DOUBLE the
> RMS value.  So it is definetly true that PEP is 2 times the average DC power
> in our linears!

Don't count me in with that "we". :-)

There is no set ratio of peak envelope power to average power, and it
certainly isn't referred to as RMS power, it is average power.

The ratio of PEP to average power(averaged over a one second period)in a
voice modulated envelope can be ANYTHING, ratios as high 7 to one are
not uncommon. Only with heavy processing do they approach 2:1.

Peak power is the (RMS) power at the CREST of the RF envelope. Average
power is the average (RMS) power of the envelope over a period of time.

In both cases, RMS power is used. In the peak case it is the highest RMS
envelope power ever obtained. In the average power case it is the
average power obtained over a specified period of time.

The truth is, peak power is the easiest to define. Anything else is a
nightmare.

73 Tom