[AMPS] MORE ON PEP (TOM)

Tom Rauch (W8JI) w8jitom@worldnet.att.net
Fri, 07 Mar 1997 22:51:57 -0500

QROKING@aol.com wrote:

> Tom, mentioned in a response to my mathmatical attempt to prove that PEP
> power is twice the average power.  In his response he made mention of the
> term PEAK RMS value.

Lou,

Please do not re-phrase what I say in your "informational" posts.

I said:

>Peak power is the (RMS) power at the CREST of the RF envelope. Average
>power is the average (RMS) power of the envelope over a period of time.

Envelope is the key word Lou. Peak ENVELOPE power.

You can find this on page 6.7 of the '95 ARRL Handbook. The ARRL
Handbook says: PEP is the AVERAGE (or RMS) power supplied to the antenna
by a transmitter during one RF cycle at the crest (peak) of the
modulation envelope.

On 29.2 PEP is defined as the AVERAGE power (average is the same as RMS
power if the waveform of each individual cycle is a pure sine wave, you
can find that on page 23 of "Basic Electricity and AC Circuits") at the
CREST of the modulation envelope.

RMS power is ALWAYS the same as the average or effective power over one
RF cycle anytime individual cycles are sine waves.

73 Tom