[AMPS] Power Supplies

marv h. gonsior w6frmarv@juno.com
Sun, 16 Mar 1997 19:02:07 PST

Hello All,

I've been following all the p.s. comments and data with interest and
appreciation.  It appears to me that possibly no one has mentioned or
measured the secondary d.c. resistance.  In my case it is 13 ohms!  In
combination with that, I run a bridge consisting of 6 A. diodes, 100 uF
of oil filter, and a 240 V three wire #6 line with its own breaker.
Now, that's stout and, as friend used to say......it's a one mistake
p.s.
The result?  An easy 7% regulation under solid key-down test conditions
using a Fluke DMM and h.v. probe.  Under SSB conditions, the h.v. meter
just flickers and I can't really say how far down it instantaneously
drops, of course, depending upon the voice and the meter ballistics etc.

On the subject of the chokes.  Henry and Collins used to capacitatively
resonate them  for 120 Hz and that would give the appearance of
excellent regulation since the peak charging wasn't there.  It worked
great BUT, you have to use a BIG resonating cap to handle the
circulating current; i.e., at least 2X the d.c. voltage of the p.s.
Years ago, I used just such a set up and it was vfb.  Now, it's just a
big cap to do the job!  Anyway, gang, there's just no substitue for size
or another way of stating it that "there just isn't any free beer!"

GL all & 73,

Marv, W6FR