[AMPS] AL-1500

km1h@juno.com km1h@juno.com
Sat, 22 Mar 1997 17:18:38 EST

A drawback with the AL-1500 is the rather basic protection circuit  for
the fragile 8877 tube. The cabinet, PS and RF deck are shared with the
AL-1200 which uses the 3CX1200...that tube is almost impossible to hurt.
 Wheras the AL1500 requires about 65W for 1500W out, the AL1200 requires
about 80W.  If you have the power overhead in the exciter so that 80-90W
on RTTY is acceptable, the AL1200 may be a better choice.  Even at 100W
of drive the 1200 is loafing.

Both are good amps but you should weigh the variables.

73...Carl   KM1H