[AMPS] Alpha Amps

Rich Measures measures@vc.net
Fri, 28 Mar 97 06:38:55 -0800

...snip...
>>Seems that a 2 hole version would last a lifetime at 1500w out
>>regardless of the mode.
>
>Yep!

However, Alpha 77s sometimes experience sudden 8877 failure for a reason
that is not apparent.  I have tested a number of such tubes. wherein the
Funderburg Test indicated that gold-sputtering was present.  When the
anodes were removed, gold plating was missing from the grid--and gold
melt balls could be seen on the cathode coating with a 30x microscope.  I
have never been present when such a failure occured, but the vast
majority of gold-sputtering events occur when normal grid current is
present, during actual operation when the grid dissipation is well under
10W.  The 8877 is rated at 25W grid dissipation.

  The 8877 has much VHF gain.   In HF service, this is NOT good news.
IMO, if the VHF suppressor does not present the anode of the 8877 with a
low VHF parallel-equivalent resistance (Rp) the VHF gain is not going to
be low. (note: Voltage gain is basically Mu multiplied by Rp.)

R. L. Measures,ag6k,805-386-3734