[AMPS] Experience with K2AW rectifiers anyone?

Ron Hooper ab4ru@stc.net
Tue, 27 May 1997 22:05:46 +0100

> Why bother replacing a very heavy duty diode string with a string of
> much smaller diodes in a case that lowers heat transfer?
>
> The potted diodes look pretty and are easy to mount, but that's the
> only advantage. Everything else is a negative.

  Well if you add in the cost of buying the equalizing the resistors,
the capacitors to go across them, taking the time to build all that
stuff up on a board, I still think the blocks are the best value. I can
tell you from experience the ratings are well under rated from praticle
use. I think the blocks use a better matched set of diodes in
construction, that helps equalize the surge voltage across them. I have
never found anything negative about using them! The guy selling them is
great to deal with. He sent me my first set with out asking for the
money up front. Said if I was not satisfied just send them back.
  I have still never had a failure in the blocks. Even when the Millen
HV connector blew up and directly shorted the B+, it blew the 40 amp
primary fuses and never took out the rectifer blocks. Or the time my
plate current meter caught on fire, it looked like an arc welder going.
I have built many strings over the last 20 years but for serious
applications the blocks have my vote.
  I was also scared to use the blocks before I had tried them and
questioned the ratings. I have no dought its worth the extra money and
they can easly handle twice the current rating continously. I thought
there was some heat so I mounted them on something to sink them. After
several hours use there is no noticable heat to the touch.

Ron W4WA