[AMPS] Re: parasites coexisting with oscillation?

Jon Ogden jono@webspun.com
Sun, 19 Apr 98 18:03:49 -0500

>> He insisted that the oscillator could not have a parasite
>> simultaneously and still work on the designed frequency. I said it could,
>> that it could be simultaneously be making "non-harmonic" energy that could
>> break things, or created uneven heating and hot spots. Also arcs around the
>> tube and output electrodes. Does anyone have evidence to refute such
>> advice? That an oscillator can, by nature, only work on one frequency at a
>> time?And I don't mean XTAL oscillators but LC circuits and tubes.

I would find it unlikely that an oscillator would oscillate at two
different frequencies, however, it isn't impossible.  Just as an
amplifier can have parasitic inductance and capacitance due to lead
lengths, component placement, etc. so could a similar thing happen in an
oscillator circuit.  An oscillator will oscillate at a frequency
determined by the resonance of the LC network (a XTAL oscillator works
EXACTLY the same with with the LC network being replaced by the XTAL).
However, if parasitic L's and C's exist that are not seen by the
fundamental oscillator yet do create a resonant circuit at another
frequency then it IS possible for a poorly designed oscillator to
oscillate at 2 different frequencies.

73,

Jon
KE9NA