[AMPS] Questions on homebrew PS

zeitler@ibm.net zeitler@ibm.net
Tue, 1 Dec 1998 07:36:46 -0800

>That sounds as if it may be an old clunker designed for tube rectifiers
>>and a choke input filter.
>
>agreed

Esteemed Reflectees,
My HB 572B quad deck supply is using an "old Clunker" of a plate xmfr picked
up locally at Murphy's Surplus for a song. I liked it because it has a
115/230 volt pri. and it has multiple taps on the secondary that allow one
to run as much as 4000 volts or as little as 2000 volts in 500 volt steps.

When initially built using just a cap. input filter Ereg. was lousy with the
Ep dropping around 800 volts under full load of 1000mA. Not good. I then
modified it to use a resonant dc filter choke filter with 8uf of oil filled
at the o/p and now the Ep only drops 300 volts fully loaded.

On the contrary, my Dahl L-4B plate xmfr, using just capacitive filtering,
drops only 300 volts under full load. Nothing beats a quality plate xmfr.
Too bad his stuff is so expensive. I scrounged around and was able to pick
up this old xmfr and filter components for less than half of what it would
have cost just for the plate xmfr from Dahl.

Lane Zeitler
Km3G