[AMPS] (no subject)

km1h@juno.com km1h@juno.com
Tue, 1 Dec 1998 10:44:08 -0500

On Mon, 30 Nov 1998 22:21:25 -0800 zeitler@ibm.net writes:

>>>    Hi Alan and the Group,
>>>    The most reliable, best amp ever built for amateur use was the
>>>Drake L-4B.
>>
>>The RF deck..yes. the PS was worse than Heath or Dentron. I would
>guess
>>that amp (and the L-7) were designed by 2 committees that never
>talked to
>>each other.
>
>Perhaps Sir Carl, perhaps.

Hey...cut out that sir stuff!

For unknown reasons R.L. Drake engineers
>chose to
>run only c. 2700 volts on the plates which is a real shame. The amp
>really
>likes HV or around 3600. This is a beutiful amp to add 160. Lots of
>room in
>and around the main tank L. Very rugged tune C cap was used. Glass
>chimneys,
>etc...

The ultimate conversion is plugging in a pair of 3CX1200A7's, building a
real PS and driving with a cranked up FT-1000D.

>The L-7 is a complete and total piece of dried up fecal material in
>comparison. Very cheesey RF deck. Same dc supply. yeah, 160 is a nice
>add-on
>but in this case too much ruggedness was compromised.

Also a pain to work on below deck but still a high dollar amp considering
the age.

>The L-4B was an "updated" L-4. The L-4 was designed when lots of folk
>were
>still running "lock-to-talk" AM service. Guess that would explain the
>lower
>Ep now that I think about it.

We still had the 1KW/2KW input rules back then, I doubt if AM had
anything to do with it.

Better to run a cool kilobuck than try
>inflate the tubes/amps capabilities, eg, Ameritron.

Ameritrons weak spot is the output network design and some components. A
few low buck changes would really make the Al 82, 1200 and 1500 fly well.
 Dont know about their newer offerings.....sounds like just more jumbled
MFJ marketing philosophy....bombard the customer with too many choices
and he will pick one just from sheer exhaustion!

>The 2K-4 is a nice deck too with a REAL choke filtered supply. Not
>sure why
>Henry took so long to get onboard with the idea of top band.

Couldnt make it work maybe ?

Lots of old 2K's getting updated with bigger tubes and scrap the choke
and 3B28's. There is at least one here locally using a pair of 8877's and
160M add-on.

>Most bang for the buck is the SB-220, SB-200, Cliperton-L. They can
>be
>picked up for a song if they have soft tubes.

I'm looking for SB-220's.

>It's late and my contacts are getting sticky.

I just got up so missed out on the continuation of last night!

73  Carl  KM1H