[AMPS] SMPSU for TWT's

Ian Roberts itr@nanoteq.co.za
Mon, 21 Dec 1998 13:37:02 +0200

The article mentioned previously is:

"Power Supply unit for Travelling-Wave Tubes" by Andreas Schaumburg,
DF7ZW, appeared in VHF Communications 4/93.

My copy is rather poor, and I can't find the original.

Other info:
Collector-1 volts 2400
Collector-2 volts 400v
Helix volts           5000 max (test 7000)/3mA
Grid-2 volts         4600 typ
Heater volts         6.3 +- 0.2.
A curiosity of this circuit is that it's meant for mobile operation from

a 24 v battery, so transformer winding ratios will have to be changed to

suite 300 V d.c. if one is using rectified 220/240 a.c. plus an
"offline" regulator driving the push-pull FETs.
Due to the high internal capacitance in the HV core caused by the many
layers of mylar insulation and plastic spray (air must be excluded), it
is run quite slowly at 10-20 kHz.
Rectifier diodes are connected in cascade and are GP02-40's by General
Instruments.

Merry Xmas all.
Ian Roberts ZS6BTE