Fw: [AMPS] Anode load line calculations.

John Fielding johnf@futurenet.co.za
Mon, 21 Dec 1998 13:40:12 +0200

But Rich you misunderstand what I am trying to tell you and the others!!!!

The anode voltage swing WILL be the 80% or so of the dc supply voltage -
but it is now developed across a much higher impedance of 22800 ohms.
Power is the voltage squared divided by the RL, which you can surely see
from the formula!

If people ignore basic formula and principles they are putting the hobby
back into the dark ages.  The one thing about this wonderful hobby is that
it is supposed to contain a "self education" aspect.  How can you
blatantly ignore facts!

As far as the other aspect of the argument regarding the linearity versus
anode voltage - it is a well documented fact that the greater the anode
supply available the more linear the operation will be for a given output
power.  Why else do we use such high voltages if we could use lower and
safer voltages?  Look again at the formula - here you can plainly see that
the predominant factor in obtaining high output power is the voltage term!

By running the tube over its most linear portion of the anode current curve
the linearity MUST be improved.  This of course entails moving the RL to a
higher value and a greater transformation ratio between the RL and the
antenna load of 50 ohms.  After a certain point it becomes impractical to
provide high transformation ratios due to the unrealisable circuit values
and a move to a more complex network - such as the Pi-L is often necessary.

John	ZS5JF