[AMPS] Layout Question: Metal Near C-load???

Jon Ogden jono@enteract.com
Thu, 31 Dec 1998 15:32:36 -0600

Howdy all and Happy New Year,

OK, got a question for some of you seasoned amp builders.  I am at long
last beginning the rebuild of my 4-1000 amp.  To refresh your memory, I
am having to deal with the housing and mechanics of someone else's
design.  The old tank circuit design was not at all stable and as I have
discovered, the C-load was not the correct value either.

The C-tune is a Jennings vacuum variable and it mounts above the C-load.
I spent yesterday building a bracket for the C-tune but realized today
that the bracket interferes with the plates of C-load.  C-load is mounted
on the floor of the amp cabinet and as the knob is turned the plates
rotate upward (z-axis) and reach a maximum height at half capacitance.
This is when my problem occurs.

I have an idea for changing the bracket design so as to eliminate the
interference.  However, part of it still will come within about 0.25" to
0.5" of C-load's plates when the height of the plates are at their
maximum height.

My question is:  Is this too close for metal to be coming near the plates
or is it OK?  I don't want any surprises when I power the thing up.

Thanks es 73,

Jon
KE9NA

Jon Ogden