[AMPS] Contemplating Building of First amp

Doug Person ki6bq@ibm.net
Thu, 05 Feb 1998 16:08:44 -0500

I am contemplating a first attempt at building an amplifier.  I am
thinking of one that could produce a half KW (or more)on all bands from
160 through 10 meters, be seriously rugged with a heavy duty cycle, and
yet be made of parts that are readily available.

I have been reading the posts to this reflecter and have been most
impressed with the kind of knowledge possesed by several participants.

It has become more and more difficult to find interesting projects with
which to enjoy this hobby (I've built so many antennas), that I thought
assembling an amp would be interesting, educational, fun, and result,
hopefully, in a very usable piece of equipment.

I would sincerely welcome everyone's input.  What type of tubes, power
supply, meters, etc would be best for a first amp?  Source of parts?
Potential cabinet sources?

Tnx es 73 to all,

Doug -- W4DXV