[AMPS] RCA tube ID

John Lyles jtml@lanl.gov
Sat, 31 Jan 1998 12:19:44 -0700

to W6NQ:

>This is a conduction cooled cermalox tetrode with 5 concentric rings.
>Ht 2.4", anode cylinder OD 1.3", anode ring OD 1.75", Screen ring
>OD 1.6".  I could not find a similar outline in my big red book.
>However, perhaps someone has a better library of these valves.

Does it have a conduction cooler mounting on one side, like a flat plate,
or is it just cylindrical like an air cooled tube without fins?

It could be anyone of the old RCA tubes, they made a heap of them during
their prime days as a special tube manufacturer. They still make a few, at
premium prices, under the name Burle Tubes - one of the primary sources of
75KW CW 915 MHz magnetrons, and 5 MW peak 200 Mhz triodes, and Coaxitron
tubes used in the E3B or E3C (whatever it is)  EWACS airborne electronic
countermeasures aircraft. But alas, many of the smaller cermalox bottles
went away, victims of either solid state amplifiers or TWTA's.
Also, the competition from Europe took away some of the TV business from
them, I suspect, about 10-15 years ago.

Looking through my ancient loose leaf binder of RCA power tubes, I couldn't
find anything listed with G2 or anode diameters close to your specimen.
That doesn't say it wasn't a production tube, as RCA made dozens and dozens
of tube types at one time, and I keep finding more curiosities in the
literature and old catalogs.

John
K5PRO