[AMPS] HV xfmr secondary resistance

Peter Chadwick Peter_Chadwick@mitel.com
Wed, 17 Jun 1998 09:22:19 +0100

The question is:

Is it 3300v at 1 amp, or 1650 - 0 - 1650 at 1 amp DC?

The latter is quite possible; in that case, the secondary is rated for 0.5A
(approximately) because each side is working for half the time. It's quite
possible that it's also rated for 1A DC choke input, which gives less strain
than capacitor input. Of course, 0.5A gives 42.5 watts dissipation.

Unless you're going to run RTTY or SSTV, you'll probably get away with it
OK, because of the relatively low duty cycle - even contesting on SSB/CW. It
may well not get warm enough to notice. RTTY contesting is the one that will
give problems, though.  As Steve, G8GSQ says, it seems a bit light - a 3200v
1.2A xfmr Steve got for me weighs in at 72lbs.

I'd suggest finding the two wires giving the highest primary resistance,
putting 115 AC across the secondary, and sorting out the primary (ies) with
the DVM. That's  also safer for playing around, as the voltages are low.

73

Peter G3RZP