[AMPS] Benefit

Jon Ogden jono@webspun.com
Fri, 13 Mar 98 17:42:08 -0600

>Generally agree with you, but IMHO if (for instance) you're trying to work
>VK0IR through a 20M pileup the 1.76 dB difference between 1.0 & 1.5 kW may
>considerably shorten your wait.
>
>Also, if you're using a nice beam with, say, a 40' boom - on any band - I
>think it'll take a lot of aluminum and sweat to squeeze another 1.76 dB out
>of it!
>
>73,    Dick

Oh sure.  In a big pileup, yep it might.  Again, the pileup is now the
noise floor!  So yes, it could help.

As for the beam, I guess I didn't make myself clear.  It would be better
to buy a better beam if you can then to spend the extra money on a bigger
PA.  If you have a monster beam already, then no, you won't get better
performance from a new one unless it's even bigger.

73,

Jon
KE9NA

Jon Ogden