[AMPS] Step Start for Ameritron AL-80A

Rich Measures measures@vc.net
Sat, 14 Mar 98 12:22:29 -0800

>I have an Ameritron AL-80A which makes the loud CLUNK sound when the
>power switch is engaged.  I assume that step-start/current inrush
>protection would prevent this.  My questions for the list:
>
>1.  What type of step-start do you suggest for the AL-80A?  Your ideas
>are welcome.
>
>2.  I ran across a step-start circuit for the Heath SB-1000 (which I
>believe is a clone of the AL-80A) in the June 1996 QST (Hints & Kinks,
>page 69) designed by W3IRZ.  He uses a large 25-watt resistor (for
>240-volt operation) and a DPDT relay with a 120-VAC coil.  Has any one
>tried this?

AC coil relays tend to buzz.

> Has any one improved the circuit?  This looks pretty simple
>even for me and the parts seem to be readily available.

The circuit shown in Figure 1 at:
www.vcnet.com/measures
is simple, uses a pair of inrush resistors so that it works on 120v and
240v, and can be powered by the AL-80's 12vdc (?) supply.  The timing
element is the hv supply filter capacitors.  When the caps. are 2/3
charged, the relay closes.  For an AL-80 a pair of 7w c. 25 ohm resistors
should work satisfactorily.
later, Jack

cheers
Rich...