[AMPS] Viewstar PT1000

km1h @ juno.com km1h@juno.com
Mon, 23 Mar 1998 09:12:06 EST

On Sun, 22 Mar 1998 20:02:41 -0700 Kevin Nathan <knathan@ibm.net> writes:
>I recently purchased one of these amps and just brought it home
>yesterday.
>This morning when I took it out to the ham shack, it slipped out of my
>hand
>and dropped onto the operating table.  Everything seemed physically
>intact
>but when I try to load the amp with about fifty watts drive the plate
>cap
>starts to arc.  I don't know yet but may need to replace the cap or
>other
>parts.  does anyone on this list know where I can locate parts for it?
>Supposedly, it is the same as the B&W 1500 or some such.
>
>thanks for any help you can give and 73 from K7RX.
>Kevin nathan

I may be a bit confused Kevin but I believe that amp had a single 3-500Z.
If that is indeed the case it had a reputation for problems that were due
to a poor PI-L design.
When B&W purchased Viewstar they only continued with the 2500...2
tubes...and had to completely re design the tank circuit in that also.
B&W is no longer in the amp business.

The simplest cure may be to rebuild with a conventional Pi
circuit....unless you want to go thru all the PI-L calculations.
If you would care to send me a copy of the manual I may be able to add a
few ideas.

BTW, do not fall blindly into the parasitic trap.....possible, but fix
the amp first.
The Amp Supply LK-450 and the Drake L-75 are two examples of stable
single 3-500Z amps.

73  Carl  KM1H

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]