[AMPS] Plate RFC choke design

W6RU W6RU@aol.com
Fri, 27 Mar 1998 03:22:40 EST

Jon,
For what it's worth...I agree totally with you. I have built many amps over
the years and had my share chokes melt down or blow up. The two chokes in
series works very well. I suggest as AG6K does, if your layout allows, to
mount the second rf choke at a right angle to the first one to further
decouple the combined internal capacitance.
73,
Terry (x W6TG, N6UR)

<< Personally, I would use a two choke system and try to wind the second
 choke with a large number of windings.  Who cares if it is resonant in a
 ham band, the first choke (resonant about 34 or 35 MHz) will still
 function properly.  Try to get a large diameter core (>1") as the
 inductance is related to the square of the diameter.  You'll get much
 more inductance with 3 inches of windings on a 1.5" core than with 3" of
 windings on a .75" core.

 I hope this helps.  People might think the two choke approach is goofy,
 but let me tell you, it works.

 73,

 Jon
 KE9NA